My Mom's book!!

Bread in a Bag #2

THRIVE Products

Powered by Blogger.

Start Shopping

Challah Bread- we ate this in a day


This bread has always looked intimidating to me. Braid bread dough? No way. But when I tried this recipe from Bread in a Bag #1, by Pam Emick, it was REALLY simple! Especially, because all of the ingredients go into a bag, and so from the bag, I just dump it out and add the water and mix it, let it rise, separate into three balls, stretch out, braid, rise, bake. Super great! 

The family raved about this bread, that it went in one day and I made a second one the next day. And then it was gone that day. And so now I need to go back to making regular loaves of bread that work for sandwiches (even though we made sandwiches with the challah as well!)

Since this is my 5th bread, and I've loved them all, I want to say this is my favorite because it is soft, sweet, and fun. But they have all (that I have made) become favorites, so it is really hard, as I want to make recipes I have already made, (like I really want to make the Dutch Crunch Sandwich Rolls again...)but I still have so many more recipes to discover from her books! 

I FINALLY purchased some mylar bags, so I will be making more "Dinner is in the Jar" meals, as well as making some bags up of my favorite bread and muffin recipes, so that I can have what I am craving in no time at all! Also note: These latest two posts will be the last of the full recipes of the breads I make. You will just have to purchase your own amazing copy of the books (see sidebar), so you can have the rest of the amazing recipes!

The Challah bread recipe
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp yeast
1/4 sugar
1 1/2 Tbs THRIVE egg powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup THRIVE butter powder


In another baggie: 1 cup flour


Add-in:
1 cup warm water
1 tsp poppy seeds (optional)


Whisk main ingredients in large bowl. Add water and mix (not whisk) vigorously, scraping sides. Add 1/2 cup flour from second baggie on work surface. Plop out dough on flour and begin to knead. (or use a Kitchen Aid with dough hook). Knead for about 5 minutes. If it is sticky, add more flour from baggie. Then knead a little more until smooth finish. Form into a ball and plop back into bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise 1 hour.


After dough has doubled in size, punch down and separate into three balls. Roll each piece in hands into three "ropes". Spray a cookie sheet with oil and then take the three ropes and secure an end and begin to braid, and tuck in ends. Let dough rise, covered, 30 minutes.


Spray top of braided dough with oil and add poppy seeds. Bake 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes, checking in the last five minutes to see if the top is getting too brown. If top is getting too brown, put a foil tent on top. (I didn't need to do this, it came out perfect). Bread is done if it registers 190 degrees. Again, I didn't need to check this, I could tell. 


AND EAT IT UP RIGHT THEN!! Yummy... we also added home made fresh strawberry jam! 

0 comments: